Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Re: Vim disaster

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:12:12 PM UTC-6, John Musa wrote:
> I had a 20,000 line file on my Windows 10 Vim
> I saved my work but after a Windows crash I restarted and when I tried to edit that file it was reduced to a single line entirely filled with ^@^@^@^@^@ etc
> Can anyone please help me solve this? I googled it but it wasn't much help. Especially the 20000+ lines now reduced to 1 line but the file size is still the same...Thank you!

It sounds to me like something interfered with the write process. You have a file full of bytes with value zero. Perhaps it was a virus scanner? If you have a swap file you can try to recover with it, and you can check for any automatically created backups in the same location as the file - by default, Vim will create a backup file until the file write is successful, see :help 'writebackup'.

If you have neither swap files nor backup files available, and no file history or external backups of your file, then I'm afraid it is probably lost. Check your antivirus quarantine and recycle bin, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. There isn't much Vim can do if Windows corrupts a file.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: