Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Algol 68 - was AW: AW: Synchronize syntax highlighting

I'll answer your question but suggest to continue this topic in Usenet (comp.lang.misc) if you're interested in more details. Von: vim_use@googlegroups.com <vim_use@googlegroups.com> im Auftrag von arocker@Vex.Net <arocker@Vex.Net> Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. August 2026 21:07 An: vim_use@googlegroups.com > I'm curious to know why anyone is editing Algol 68 code in 2026. Simply; I'm *editing* it because I am _writing programs_ in Algol 68. The question was probably meant as why one would write programs in an old (legacy) language like Algol 68. - The answer is not simple. In the past 50 years I've programmed in a lot of languages, Algol 68 was amongst the cleanest, yet very powerful, and safe! It was not my first and certainly not my last language, but other languages with all these properties were long rare, even non-existing. When I found a high-quality Algol 68 interpreter lately I was glad to refresh my old programming skills in a language that was by far more enjoyable to program in than, say, in "C" (or similar), or in one of the many more languages (that are sometimes even hyped, for reasons beyond me). > Are there even functioning compilers available any more? The "Genie" compiler "a68g" is the one that I found, and used since then. It's of very high quality (as I said), and effectively a "complete" implementation of that very large language. In addition it has quite some powerful extensions (for math, plotting, databases, functions and methods we know Unix systems, etc.). I think it was developed in the 1990's and made public (with source code) for free use in the late 1990's (IIRC). A 700-pages PDF documentation comes with it. It is still maintained by its original author, Marcel van der Veer, and releases are still published. In addition there's a much more recent GNU project to release an Algol 68 compiler, "ga68", as part of the GNU Compiler Collection. It's probably too fresh - maybe even incomplete, can't tell - to say anything about it. But its recent development is an indication that there seems to be still some interest in the Algol 68 language. The Vim syntax file is a small contribution to support that interest. Janis -- -- You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to. For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/AS2SPRMB0054D02866ECB10097A6AB8EF3DD2%40AS2SPRMB0054.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com.

No comments: