Monday, September 28, 2026

Re: Looking for someone albe to grant copyrights for a screenshot with Vim

On So, 27 Sep 2026, Maciek Godek wrote: > Hi, > I created an essay for the Onward! conference. The essay has a visual > (i.e. comic) form, and one of the pages features a monitor with a > running Vim splash screen. It's going to be published in open access > under a Creative Commons license. > > The publisher, ACM, told me that I need to get permission from the > authors of all software that I screenshot. And while there might be a > possibility to use a screenshot on a "fair use" basis, I wonder if > now, after Bram Moolenar is no longer with us, there is any party > (like a foundation) that would be able to grant me the right to use > it? > > I can send the page containing the screenshot if needed. I don't think it is the Vim community that should grant you the rights to use a random screenshot of Vim. The Vim license itself does not restrict the use of Vim and from our side, there is no reason you shouldn't be allowed to use it. Having said that, isn't the real issue here the copyright of the screenshot itself, rather than of Vim? If you took the screenshot yourself you already hold the copyright on it, but if this is someone else's copyright, you should reach out to the creator of the screenshot and ask about permission. Best, Christian -- Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too." -- Dave Haynie -- -- You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to. For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/arrX7iiSAmvFBjt%2B%40256bit.org.

No comments: