Friday, April 1, 2022

Re: XSetWMNormalHints

I mean where the actual X11 window is constrained to expand/shrink by steps of the font's character width/height.
This has been the case, by my witness, for as long as I recall.  It seems to still be the case on Windows 10.

I don't have a right or bottom scrollbar, just the left.

I asked someone on Arch, and he said the same change happened to him a short while back.

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 1:46:36 AM UTC-7 matthew...@gmail.com wrote:
чт, 31 мар. 2022 г. в 21:10, Jason Weber <baboon...@gmail.com>:
I recently upgraded from Debian 10 to Debian 11.

My gvim used to always do resize increments by character.  Dragging a window edge would resize the window by snapping to the nearest whole character.  I would even see the window size written on screen, as characters, not pixels.  Now I see sizes by pixels.  My xterm windows still resize by character, as before.

I use fvwm on my host, but I also tried this on a PopOS VM, for whatever the default WM is for that.  The Windows 10 VM does still resize on characters.

For what I have read, this is part of ICCCM, specifically setting PResizeSize with XSetWMNormalHints().  The only thing I saw in the vim source is

#define XSetWMNormalHints XSETWMNORMALHINTS

I'm not sure where that is even used.

I've been digging around for a few hours now and was hoping someone could give me hint where to look next.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/aeb6fc82-46de-42a7-90af-e5b3484d9c55n%40googlegroups.com.

Hello,

I guess you mean 8.2.2709 (see also Issue #5602 and #8008;  PR #6466 and #8027 on Vim's github page).

Note that the GVim window was and still is resized by pixel, while the text area displays a whole number of chars. The difference is that few "leftover" pixels previously were on the right of the vertical scrollbar, while now they can reside in the text area (and so have "Normal" color). Is there any problem with this?

Regards,
Matvey

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/43f71a5c-adff-4581-b0cb-eae6313eb90fn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: