Thursday, June 13, 2019

gvim visual mode very slow, even with -u NONE

Hi all,
I am having problems with graphical vim since not too long ago;
terminal version works as great as always.

The problem is that it became very choppy - there's about 500ms-1s
lag between any keypress and reaction. Keypresses are queued, so if
I rapidly type, they're executed in sequence, slowly.

I am running archlinux with xmonad wm. Most of my apps run inside
urxvt, with browser (palemoon) and gvim being the only graphical
apps.
I am running the compositor (compton), but killing it changed
nothing.
The hardware is nothing spectacular, 4y old laptop.

What follows is list of things I tried before posting here:

* updating my system, rebooting. No change.
* vim -g -u NONE -U NONE. No change.
* killing all other apps. No change.
* comparing vim vs. vim -g. Terminal version runs normally.
* strace $(pidof gvim). A gigazillion of failed recvmsg calls and
few istats. I assumed this is normal behavior because it happens
in terminal version too.
* research on open issues: stackoverflow, stackexchange, vim wiki.
Followed advice on changing fonts, didn't help. I don't use cursor
lines and columns.
* asked on #vim on Freenode. Got told to try with -u NONE, and try
disabling compositor. Didn't help.
* ldd vim to check which libs are used, went to check libpango and
libcairo bug trackers for potential issues. Didn't find anything.


I am not sure what is causing the issue. I found an advice to try
alternative builds of gvim (using Athena), but before going down
that road I'd like to try and see if I can fix this, especially
because it might be affecting other parts of my system too - its
just that the only symptom I see is in gvim.

I don't know what else might be relevant. If there's anything,
please ask.

Sincerely,


P.S. I'm sending this mail second time, first time being yesterday; I
haven't seen the first one pop up, but if it did and I'm spamming,
I'm real sorry, its not out of malice, but ignorance.


--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20190613173552.GA902%40johnslap.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: