Sunday, October 6, 2019

Re: sed whole file

Jorge Almeida (12019-10-06):
> I just noticed an obnoxious behaviour that I think is a new "feature".
> Or maybe it was always like this and I forgot. Or maybe I did
> something wrong, in which case I apologize in advance.
>
> It goes like this:
> I want to replace each occurrence of "foo" by "bar". In command mode I
> start typing
> :%s/foo
>
> and the cursor moves to the first occurrence of foo, even if it means
> moving the page down. Maybe the user would like to copy something in
> the original page? Maybe that's where the string "bar" occurs and the
> user didn't memorize it?

It is a new consequence of the 'incsearch' option. It used to affect
searching /, but it recently started to affect replacing during while
editing the command line. And it has the drawbacks you mention about
copy-pasting and in general perusing context.

My work-around for now is to remove the % while editing and put it back
before executing. But I also would like a way of enabling 'incsearch'
for searches and disabling for replacement.

Regards,

--
Nicolas George

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20191006100125.z7kfbmzgzldrqm6a%40phare.normalesup.org.

No comments: