Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Re: Changing encoding of an already loaded buffer

On 09/12/2020 18.47, A. Wik wrote:
> I don't include utf8 in my default fencs setting because that has the
> side effect of using utf8 for any newly created files.

Completely off-topic, if you don't have particular needs I'd advise you
to use UTF- 8 with BOMs for all your new files ('set bomb', 'set
encoding=utf-8' and 'fenc' left to the default in your vimrc), it will
prevent any future encoding problem for at least them.

I've been doing so for more than a decade and pretty much never had
problems, and sigh a relief every time I see I'm working with one of them.

I heard many protest the BOMs in UTF-8, but they are the first thing
ever to allow a reliable encoding detection and they solve a lot more
problems than they can cause (if they cause problems they usually do so
immediately and noticeably, much better than discovering years later
that you irremediably botched the encoding of some file). So I find it
absurd to disparage them, and delusive to think that we'll ever get to a
point when non-utf8 files will be rare enough that we won't need to
handle them.
I imagine most of the critics are from countries that never needed more
than ASCII

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/a7b20b97-cfc7-a2d6-d2a3-744a438199a5%40tiscali.it.

No comments: