Thursday, March 4, 2021

Re: vim-mnemonics for hjkl.

Csaba Hoch wrote:
> Some years ago I read a mnemonic from the perspective of Japan:
>
> Kamchatka
> ^
> |
> Hong Kong <----o -----> Los Angeles
> |
> V
> Java/Jakarta

That is the funniest memory trick for that I've ever seen.

> Maybe not all four place names were exactly these.
>
> I thought I read it in the Vim documentation, but I cannot find it either
> there or on the web.

I have never seen any use-a-world-map mnemonic tricks for vi / vim
before. It really is very where-you-are centric. For me, Jakarta and
Hong Kong are roughly the same direction, and Los Angeles is south.
Kamchatka is very much north-west instead of north. I could substitute
Klondike, Alaska, and Jalisco, Mexico for north / south. Maybe Lithuania
for east. Hong Kong works fine for west, even though it is really
south-west.

Elijah

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/4Drzhr6Z0czfYm%40panix5.panix.com.

No comments: