Friday, September 17, 2021

Re: New User Several Questions and Concerns

On 2021-09-17, Bernard wrote:
> Greetings I am learning Vim (Windows 10) It is of no use to me unless I can
> effortlessly edit multiple files w/o a mouse I learned of tabs but am surprised
> I can see no way to select any tab of my choice I assumed each tab would be
> identified w/ a number so one can merely type something like ":gototab3" let's
> say to edit the tab so labeled But when I enter ":tabedit" multiple times all I
> see is each tab labeled "[ No Name ]" w/ no further distinguishing mark upon it
> I do not wish to step through a series of tabs to reach my intended destination
> I prefer random access not sequential

:help :tabnext

> Furthermore one horizontal line of text
> of course offers finite space I saw no mention in the Help file as to how Vim
> responds to the situation of more tabs created than will fit Of course upon
> experimentation I observed the result The Help file offers no guidance of
> course as to how to scroll the list of tabs in such an instance

I don't know of a solution for that.

> Furthermore I
> do not see why Vim does not offer filename completion when entering a file name
> for editing

It does have filename completion. See

:help cmdline-completion

What have you tried that doesn't seem to be working?

> and provide the ability to scroll up/down the list of file and
> directory names relative to the current directory or relative to the directory
> entered

It has this, too. See

:help :browse

> Furthermore Upon merely starting Vim and resizing the console window it
> crashes

If this is reproducible, send reproduction steps to this list and
someone will have a look.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20210917163630.GC20592%40phoenix.

No comments: