Saturday, September 18, 2021

Re: New User Several Questions and Concerns

You can also use buffers.

After having multiple files open (either by passing multiple files to
vim when starting it, or by using :e </path/to/file.extension> after Vim
has already been open), you can do:

:ls

And you will see the open files, prefixed with a number.

To go to a specific file, you can do:

:b<buffer-number>

There are also keyboard shortcuts but since I don't use them, I don't
really remember them.

Best Regards,
IFo Hancroft

On 2021-09-17 08:37, Bernard wrote:
> Greetings I am learning Vim (Windows 10) It is of no use to me unless
> I can effortlessly edit multiple files w/o a mouse I learned of tabs
> but am surprised I can see no way to select any tab of my choice I
> assumed each tab would be identified w/ a number so one can merely
> type something like ":gototab3" let's say to edit the tab so labeled
> But when I enter ":tabedit" multiple times all I see is each tab
> labeled "[ No Name ]" w/ no further distinguishing mark upon it I do
> not wish to step through a series of tabs to reach my intended
> destination I prefer random access not sequential Furthermore one
> horizontal line of text of course offers finite space I saw no mention
> in the Help file as to how Vim responds to the situation of more tabs
> created than will fit Of course upon experimentation I observed the
> result The Help file offers no guidance of course as to how to scroll
> the list of tabs in such an instance Furthermore I do not see why Vim
> does not offer filename completion when entering a file name for
> editing and provide the ability to scroll up/down the list of file and
> directory names relative to the current directory or relative to the
> directory entered Furthermore Upon merely starting Vim and resizing
> the console window it crashes - Cheerio
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/1883d4cf-7fbc-4b67-81f0-9f830596b642n%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/1883d4cf-7fbc-4b67-81f0-9f830596b642n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/f9bb02e9ea40c79370ac90584452c782%40ifohancroft.com.

No comments: