Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Re: I had to replace gvim with neovim

Gary Johnson said on Wed, 28 Feb 2024 06:45:04 -0800

>On 2024-02-28, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The gvim program became too much of a hassle because it printed all
>> sorts of GTk errors and warnings to the terminal, obliterating
>> valuable information that was there. So I had to uninstall Vim and
>> install neovim, which isn't as good, but all those GTk warnings were
>> messing up my workflow.
>>
>> If anyone knows how to use gvim without all those GTk warnings, I'd
>> like to hear it.
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>I can't test this because I don't get those warnings, but I'm
>assuming they are printed to standard error. Try starting gvim this
>way and see if the warnings go away.
>
> $ gvim 2> /dev/null

Thanks Gary, I should have thought of that. I followed your advice and
renamed /usr/bin/gvim to gvim.warnings, and then made a shellscript
called gvim to call it, piping stderr to /dev/null.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt

Autumn 2023 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20240228210335.543b9d32%40mydesk.domain.cxm.

No comments: