Monday, January 28, 2013

Re: Scripting with Python, capturing command output and using signs

On 01:14 Mon 28 Jan , Jon Cairns wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I thought I was getting my point across in my original message but I obviously wasn't!
>
> I have workarounds for retrieving a sign by ID and getting the output of running a command, it's just that both of these aren't optimal and I wanted to know whether there were currently better options. I'm not looking to use a plugin to make things easier, I was just interested in Vim internals.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 4:26:01 PM UTC, MarcWeber wrote:
> > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14502710/query-position-of-sign-in-vim-with-sign-id/14503016
> >
> > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14504403/capture-output-of-vim-command-in-python/14506534
> >
> >
> >
> > eventually have a look at vim-addon-signs. You pass a list of
> >
> > file,line,sign_type to a function, and the plugin does everything else.
> >
> >
> >
> > Its you keeping a list of signs the way you want, just making the script
> >
> > update everything else. Maybe it just solves your problem.
> >
> >
> >
> > The sign interface is broken by design, because two scripts could be
> >
> > using the same sign numbers by accident.
> >
> >
> >
> > > vim.command('redir => myvar')
> >
> > > vim.command('silent sign place')
> >
> > > vim.command('redir END')
> >
> > > output = vim.eval('myvar')
> >
> > > Is this the best way of doing it or am I missing something?
> >
> > Talk about what you want to do. Such as
> >
> > - I want to debug python code within vim
> >
> > - I want to get XY, and I think redir is the nicest way to get what I
> >
> > want like this, do you see a shorter way?
> >
> >
> >
> > Other than that it looks like you know how to read :h signs - if a
> >
> > feature is not listed there it might not exist.
> >
> >
> >
> > Marc Weber
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
>

Hi,

Look at the vim_dev. Two days ago (on 26 Jan) Christian Brabandt has
published a patch for vim which adds a vimscript function vim:
getsign(). It may be useful for you.

Best,
Marcin

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: