Monday, August 24, 2015

RE: vim suitable for professional software development?

Hey,

Well, it seems that the fear to break my cfg was really reasonless,
especially if i consider that i already use git for my vimrc and can
comment problematic plugins/settings.
But i think for me, its a really good idea to restart in terms of
plugins and clean them a bit.

The point i've asked about the integration of vim and GUI builders is
just i didn't want to know vim someday very good but can't use that
knowledge efficiently, because IDE's like netbeans or eclipse would have
in terms of efficiency beaten the combination of vim and the gui
builder.
But it seems that i won't come around of making my own experiences.

Thanks & regards

Am 23.08.2015 21:12 schrieb Doug Wellington:
> Previously:
>> i'm wondering whether VIM is really suitable for professional software
>> development.
>
> There are a lot of us professional software developers who use vim
> every
> day.
>
>> Let's assume your vim configuration is broken at work and you can't
>> fix the issue within 20 minutes.
>
> I would suggest that you learn how to use vim by itself without any
> plugins. Then, if there is a problem with a plugin, you can use "vim
> -u
> NONE -N" and you will have some productivity immediately.
>
> I feel the same about all the tools that I use. I start out with the
> basics and then use more and more features of the tools as I learn.
> Plugins are great for productivity, but they don't replace the need for
> knowledge. I only add a plugin when I realize that I am doing
> something
> over and over many times and I want to do that thing faster.
>
> vim is a text editor. It is a very good text editor. But I wouldn't
> try to use it for GUI code generation. There are other tools for that.
> The reason there are so many tools in the world is that they all serve
> different purposes. I know it is hard to know which tool to use. You
> have to use a tool to know if it does what you want it to do.
> Sometimes
> you learn a new tool and then stop using it because it doesn't meet
> your
> needs.
>
>> I have also very little experience with vim or shell scripting,
>
> This will come with time. The wonderful thing about programming is
> that
> there are always more things to learn! (If you don't like to learn new
> things, maybe you should consider a different career...)
>
>> I assume, using two separate applications for developing really breaks
>> the programming flow.
>
> We all work differently. You have to find what works best for you.
> For
> me, I am too impatient to use an IDE, especially if I'm just editing
> scripts or system configuration files. I have at least two shell (text
> terminal) windows open all the time. I keep vim going in one window
> and
> a python session going in the other. I test things on the fly with
> python, and then write the actual code with vim. I use the Qt GUI
> framework, and I actually write GUI code right in the python
> interpreter. It's great fun to show, hide, and manipulate my GUI by
> typing commands directly in python. For me, Qt designer takes too long
> to use, because you create the widget graphically, then save the .ui
> file, then convert that ui file to code. Some people love to work with
> Designer. It's all up to the individual person to decide what is the
> most productive, while considering what works within their team...
>
> Regards,
> Doug

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: