Friday, September 30, 2016

Slow Python syntax highlighting

Hi all,

I'm not sure when this started, but for some Python files there's a
noticeable lag due to syntax highlighting.

For example, using O to open a new line can take up to a few hundreds
of ms at some places of the file while it's instantaneous at some
other places of the same file. I say it's caused by syntax
highlighting because disabling it solves the issue. I couldn't find a
pattern explaining why some parts are slower.

The file is not a big one (457 lines / 17kB), its doesn't have long
lines (max is around 250 chars) and I'm using the syntax file provided
by Vim, not a custom one. I don't use any plugins at all (related to
Python or not).

I tried using :syntime (i.e., on / off / report) but I couldn't spot a
difference between a 'fast' place and a 'slow' place. I may not have
used it properly.

I'm using a huge 8.0.19 build on a 64 bits Debian Jessie. I'm using
Vim in a Gnome terminal, I don't use GVim.

Any suggestions where to look for?

Thanks.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: