Monday, October 17, 2016

Re: Compile and Run Java Projects

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 6:08:35 PM UTC-4, Luis Henriquez-Perez wrote:
> I am using vim to code my java projects. I've been noticing I've been jumping back to the terminal a lot to compile and run my code. So I want to create a function that does all this for me (and gets rid of the class files afterwards). The code below is my attempt. Could someone let me know how I can fix my code?
>
> func! CompileFolderJava()
>
> " compile all java files in folder of the current buffer
> :!javac "%:p:h" . "/*.java" " javac path/name/to/current/buffer/directory/*.java
>
>
> " run Main java file in that folder
> :!java "%:p:h" . ".Main" " java path/name/to/current/buffer/directory.Main
>
> " delete all the .class files in that folder
> :!rm "%:p:h" . ".class"
>
> " :echo "Done"
> endfunc

The solution of " :!java -cp %:p:h Main" did not work out.

I think this might be because my java files all have the following line:
Package myjavafiles;

as of yet the only way I've found to compile and run it from the terminal (and not from vim)
is by being in the parent directory of myjavafiles and doing:

javac myjavafiles/*.java
java myjavafiles.Main

I've found that I can specify the directory of the java files I want to compile in the "javac" command. But when the "java" command will only work when I'm in the directory that has the folder of java files.

I came to this conclusion after doing the following in vim from myjavafiles directory:

// succesful
: cd ..
: !javac myjavafiles/*.java
: !java myjavafiles.Main

// not successful
: !javac *.java <---worked
: !java Main <----did not work

// suprisingly not successful
: cd ..
: !javac myjavafiles/*.java
: !java ~/path/to/myjavafiles.Main

Because of these tests I think that perhaps I need to change directories to compile. But I'm not sure how to get only the folder name "myjavafiles" instead of the whole path.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: