Monday, August 28, 2017

Re: .cl file type?

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 11:59:54 PM UTC-7, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> On So, 27 Aug 2017, Barry Gold wrote:
>
> > What does vim think an extension of ".cl" means?
> >
> > I've been writing a program that will take a list of input HTML files (some
> > written using an editor like vim, some generated by MS Word) and convert
> > them to legal (and reasonably clean) XHTML. The program is written in PHP,
> > and I've been following the convention of putting each class in a separate
> > file. So I have one top-level file (an "executable" using the #!
> > convention), a few "include" files with the extension ".inc", and my classes
> > in files with the extension ".cl".
> >
> > But when I try editing the .cl files with vim, auto-formatting doesn't work.
> > I have autoindent set, but every new line starts in column 1, regardless of
> > the indention of the previous line. Also linewrapping doesn't work (set
> > fo+=tcroqj)
> >
> > I had various ideas of what was wrong, and I think I have eliminated all the
> > others. But as far as I can see, vim does what I expect *unless* the
> > extension is ".cl". In a file named *.cl, autoformatting just doesn't work.
> > Period.
> >
> > What's up with the .cl extension? Is there a way to get .vim to treat it
> > like .php? Or should I just live with it and change my naming convention to
> > match whatever assumptions are built into .vim?
> >
> > Btw, this occurs in the vim that is downloaded with cygwin
> > VIM - Vi IMproved 8.0 (2016 Sep 12, compiled Jan 27 2017 13:34:58)
> >
> > and also when I right click on a file and choose "Edit with Vim".
>
> Your php files have probably special settings in the corresponding
> filetype plugins. And possibly, if you enabled indent plugins, there
> exists special logic there as well. If you want to have your .cl files
> be handled like php files, check e.g. the faq:
> https://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-26
> (there are several questions in the 26 block, that might be of interest
> to you). And follow the links to the documentation in Vim.
>
> Also, if .cl is kind of a official extensions for Vim, we might need to
> extend our logic to detect php like files.
>
> Best,
> Christian

I have set noloadplugins, but I'm still getting the same strange behavior. I guess I should just use a different extension.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: