Thursday, August 29, 2019

Re: What happened to "Search hit BOTTOM, continuing at TOP"?

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 08:56:15AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> :help 'shortmess' still says that the s flag means not to give the
> "Search hit BOTTOM, continuing at TOP" (or vice-versa) message when
> searching, which I understand as meaning that in the absence of this
> flag, the message will be given. Well, I just noticed that in my
> current gvim build (Big 8.1.1935) it isn't, and yet the flag is
> absent. Maybe I unwittingly set some other option preventing it? Or
> has it been retired? I found this message useful to avoid unwittingly
> looping several times in succession through a file's text.

It's been replaced by the new [N/M] index shown on the bottom right.
Specifically, a little W appears after it, e.g.

[1/7] W

You can turn off the entire index with :set shortmess+=S and you'll get
the old "search hit TOP/BOTTOM, continuing at BOTTOM/TOP" message back.

(I like the [N/M] index, but I also think the W is way too subtle, and I
find myself looping again and again.)

Marius Gedminas
--
As a rule of thumb, I reckon Python to be an order of magnitude more wasteful
of CPU cycles and memory than my favourite low-level language, C++.
-- Thomas Guest

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20190829101708.iiezumvnbuyui2jj%40blynas.

No comments: