Saturday, August 31, 2019

Search history question

I started noticing this a while ago, but it's somewhat new (months, not years):

If I search for "abcd" with incremental search enabled, the search characters get highlighted as I type them, which is obviously why I have incremental search enabled. However, when I look through my search history, I'm pretty sure I used to only see the one search entry for "abcd". These days, I see four: a, ab, abc and abcd. What happened?

This adds entries that don't really do anything because I might be in the middle of a regular expression and having search entries containing partially-entered expressions are somewhat meaningless, such as \( but without a closing \).

Is there a way to only have it register the entry in the search history when I press enter?

Obviously, setting @/ via a let creates just the one entry, but that's when I don't care about the incremental display. 

Best regards,

--

Salman

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CANuxnEfs86XdN64%3Dw%3DHcmc01S-om%2BcMuUCS%3DjN0KLoW3cdUWsg%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: