Sunday, July 4, 2021

Re: Pre-fold output of :r! command

On 7/4/2021 1:08 PM, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> I would like to print the output of a shell command - a webpage dump -
> into a Vim buffer, and have those lines immediately folded, rather than
> a second step of selecting and folding them.
>
> The command would look something like:
>
> :r! w3m -dump url.com <http://url.com> FOLD
>
> How would this be possible?

Tested the following for <some_command> being dir:

exec(':r !<some_command>') |normal zM

> I would like to navigate my folds in an easier way than navigating to
> the blue line that appears, and unfolding them. Is it possible to get
> some kind of table of contents sidebar

Doesn't the first line of the fold constitute a table of contents? I do
not see a blue line -- instead, I see a + in the left most column and
the rest of the line is the first line of the folded material.

> where you can select a fold and
> open or close it? In my current configuration, I don't see an indicator
> that a fold is on a certain line, if that fold is currently unfolded.

For me, I know the rules being used for creating folds. So when I see
unfolded material, I can see the rule for folding in the material and
know that the material is unfolded material. Since I can readily see
that the unfolded material is part of a fold, I do not need an
additional, superfluous indicator that the material can be folded.

>
> Thank you very much,
> Julius
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/8e03f1a5-aecf-089c-17d0-94c95c1a8c60%40yahoo.com.

No comments: