Saturday, July 3, 2021

Re: Prevent vim from polluting the file system with a bunch of temporary $HOME/.viminf[a-z] files

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 09:37:33AM EDT, arocker@Vex.Net wrote:

> > The best way to avoid having those files laying around is to find
> > out why Vim is unable to rename them and fix that problem. Watch
> > for error messages when Vim closes.

> Possibly a permissions problem? A look at the permissions and ownership of
> the files and the containing directory might offer some clues.

According to the vim help (help wv):

When you get error "E929: Too many viminfo temp files"
check that no old temp files were left behind (e.g.
~/.viminf*) and that you can write in the directory of
the .viminfo file.

I would imagine I can write to my $HOME directory...?

As to ownership I was in the middle of some sticky issue and I deleted
the files as suggested by the E929: error message (instead of moving
them to some safe place or other) so I cannot verify that but I would
also imagine that I am/was the owner thereof.

I have a feeling this may have to do to with my having had a series of
lockups lately where the only option was ssh'ing to the box and issuing
'shutdown -r now' commands as the only way out. Tried to recreate the
situtation but haven't had any luck so far.

One possible work around would be to direct the files to /tmp (or
a subdirectory of /tmp) rather than my home directory where they would
be taken care of when the machine is restarted but I haven't found a way
to persuade vim do just that. Shouldn't /tmp/... be the place where temp
files are created?

Anyway, now I have at least a vague idea of what these files are for so
I'll stop worrying and live with it.

Thanks,

CJ

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/YOCjnvu86tf%2BgQG2%40turki.local.

No comments: