Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Re: Cursors

On 6/15/22 11:55 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> The terminal that I use to run ssh does not support it.

Hum.

This sounds like a potential problem in the terminal. Specifically that
the terminal should set TERM to the terminal that it's actually emulating.

I consider it a bug if a terminal emulator claims that it's emulating a
terminal that's more capable than it actually is. E.g. claiming XTerm
when it's really VT100 level capabilities.

I also use answer back for some things like this. I define the answer
back on specific systems via the ~/.Xdefaults file. I usually set the
answer back to be the host name that the terminal emulator is running on.

So, between the contents of the TERM environment variable and the value
of the answer back, I can have my servers choose how they configure the
interactive environment.

> I am using the Secure Shell extension for Chrome.

The Secure Shell 0.47 (in a tab) that I have installed for work seems to
have an option to specify the TERM environment variable via Secure Shell
(icon) -> Options -> Terminal Settings -> Miscellaneous. If it doesn't
actually support xterm-256color (what mine's defaulted to) I'd file a
bug with them. If that didn't work, I'd change it to something less
capable; xterm base, or even vt100. That way the value of the TERM
environment variable would be more believable.

I feel like the purpose of the TERM environment variable is slipping
into obscurity and people are setting it to something they've always
seen, e.g. xterm, and not realizing that it actually has a specific
meaning. Instead they are defaulting and having to re-invent the wheel.

> I actually haven't tried recently, they keep improving it.

ACK

I just tried the Secure Shell for the first time in a long time and I
can't get it to connect to anything. :-/ I'm not upset b/c I found it
so inferior and frustrating. That being said, I'm an Xterm power user
and expect more than the average person from my terminal emulator.



--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/e2580871-10c9-e67f-65ec-39f53951da7f%40spamtrap.tnetconsulting.net.

No comments: