Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Re: Cursors

[...]

I'm using this on MS-Windows, where things are quite different...

> I feel like the purpose of the TERM environment variable is slipping
> into obscurity and people are setting it to something they've always
> seen, e.g. xterm, and not realizing that it actually has a specific
> meaning. Instead they are defaulting and having to re-invent the wheel.

Yes, that is indeed a problem. Lots of terminal emulators keep popping
up, many with the same or similar base, and adding one more feature.
They don't bother distributing a correct termcap/terminfo entry and just
use something like "xterm" for $TERM.

I have been thinking of a way to just ignore termcap/terminfo and let
the terminal tell us what it's features are. Xterm does this partially,
but there can be artifacts (e.g. when Vim exits very quickly). I
haven't found the right solution yet.

> > I actually haven't tried recently, they keep improving it.
>
> ACK
>
> I just tried the Secure Shell for the first time in a long time and I
> can't get it to connect to anything. :-/ I'm not upset b/c I found it
> so inferior and frustrating. That being said, I'm an Xterm power user
> and expect more than the average person from my terminal emulator.

It works well compared to other solutions (e.g. Putty). If you can't
get it to connect double check the settings. It works for me (when I
get the domain or IP address and port right).

The problem I sometimes run into is that mouse events stop working
without a clue why.

--
The MS-Windows registry is no more hostile than any other bunch of state
information... that is held in a binary format... a format that nobody
understands... and is replicated and cached in a complex and largely
undocumented way... and contains large amounts of duplicate and obfuscated
information... (Ben Peterson)

/// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///
\\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20220615204416.D8FD01C06DC%40moolenaar.net.

No comments: