Thursday, May 11, 2023

Odd behavior of vim over ssh from Cygwin mintty

I haven't had to use Windows for almost a year and I hardly ever use
a mouse with vim, so I don't know when this behavior might have
changed, but I was verifying the behavior of vim on Ubuntu over an
ssh connection from Cygwin's mintty when I noticed something odd.

Using the mouse, I attempted to visually-select a region of text to
verify that the command/status line showed the number of lines
selected. Instead of doing that, a small decimal number followed by
the letter 'm' appeared where the number of lines selected usually
appears and no lines were selected. A little more experimentation
suggested that the number was the screen line number.

That was using my local build of Vim 9.0.1482 with my normal config
files. The odd behavior did not appear with that version using
"--clean" and did not appear with the version of vim in
/usr/bin/vim, Vim 8.1.2269 plus patches 3612, 3625, 3669 and 3741,
with my normal config files.

I just discovered that the odd behavior also happens when using
GNOME Terminal 3.44.0 on a different Ubuntu machine over ssh to the
original Ubuntu machine. An xterm works fine.

Before I start digging into my configuration files looking for the
problematic setting, does anyone know what the problem might be?

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20230511215800.GE21381%40phoenix.

No comments: