Friday, July 13, 2012

Re: Cleaning up the buffer list

On Friday, 13 July 2012 03:22:49 UTC+1, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 06:34:32AM EDT, Geoff wrote:
>
> > You can also use :bd to unload the buffer and delete it from
> > the list once you've finished with it, to avoid leaving it
> > in the buffer list. Possibly a dangerous habit to acquire
> > though.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what 'danger' you are referring to, though..
> If the target buffer is modified, Vim will complain (unless you do
> a :bd!).. otherwise the only risk is that you'd have to reload the
> buffer (:e file).

Hmm, I'm not sure either. But if you've set hidden and then you use :bd
all the time you are defeating the purpose of having hidden set. Presumably
you had it set for a good reason...

I'm glad you asked actually - I set hidden a couple of years ago and I
definitely had a good reason at the time, but I find I'm no longer sure
what it was. When I wrote the previous email I did vaguely think hidden
was a way of protecting you from losing changes but as you say, :bd
warns about that anyway.

Maybe I'll try turning it off and find out why I set it in the first place :)

regards,
Geoff

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: