Friday, July 13, 2012

Re: Cleaning up the buffer list

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 06:31:40AM EDT, geoffrey.wood@thomsonreuters.com wrote:

[..]

> I'm glad you asked actually - I set hidden a couple of years ago and
> I definitely had a good reason at the time, but I find I'm no longer
> sure what it was.

[..]

For instance, I start making changes to a file, then I need to take
a quick look at another file before I commit the changes.. so, I'll do
':e file2'.. take a peek and then either ':q file2'.. or CTRL-O.. etc.
and get back to the file I was editing.. I 'nohidden' is set, Vim will
complain. I prefer this strategy to ':vne file2' especially when
I already have several sub-windows in the current tab. One use-case
among many, I guess.. No wonder I end up with tons of files in my buffer
list..!

You could probably set it to 'nohidden' and see if/how it impacts your
workflow?

CJ

--
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: