Friday, January 25, 2013

Re: Advice for efficient navigation using the jump list

On 01/25/2013 09:29 PM, Marco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like navigating the jump list using ctrl-o and ctrl-i. The problem
> is that I also prefer to use relativenumber. Both settings,
> unfortunately, do not match very well.
>
> If I have relativenumber set, I navigate to the visible text parts
> using e.g. 15k or 22j. However, these jumps are not recorded in the
> jump list. This basically means using relativenumber entirely
> invalidates the usefulness of the jump list.
>
> If I use number instead of relativenumber, navigation by line
> numbers gets really painful. I then navigate using e.g.
> 12843gg or 1937gg
>
> As a consequence I either use the search (/, ?) instead of direct
> jumps or the change list (g;, g,). But I feel that both are sort-of
> unpredictable and not suitable in all cases or even slower compared
> to e.g. 15k.
>
> Any suggestions about how to improve my workflow or even a solution
> for relativenumber and the jump list to be friends? Maybe there is a
> setting which adds j and k jumps which are preceded by a count to
> the jump list.
>
> Marco
>
Marco,

A few weeks ago I had *exactly* the same feeling. For this reason I
wrote the small plugin named 'jk-jumps', which is available here:
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4395. (it's probably one
of the smallest plugins available :)).
It basically changes the j and k keys to act as usual, but make Vim
recognize those movements as a jump if you jump more than the
configurable amount of lines. It took me a few releases to get it
correctly right (regarding folds etc) but with version 0.4 it seems to
work without any problems now.

Feel free to comment, suggest features etc on github:
https://github.com/teranex/jk-jumps.vim.

I already suspected that I wouldn't be the only one with this idea, so
this makes me wonder again: wouldn't it be possible/useful to add this
to Vim itself as an option?

Jeroen

--
website: http://budts.be/ - twitter: @teranex
___________________________________
Registered Linux User #482240 - GetFirefox.com - ubuntu.com



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: