Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Re: gVim converting Unix file Write To DOS Format

On 2013-07-24 11:09, octopusgrabbus wrote:
> I am using gVim version version 7.2.411 to remotely edit files on
> a Linux system from a Linux system. I have set
>
> fileformats=unix,dos
>
> in .vimrc as well as well as
>
> filetype plugin indent on
>
> The file reads in as Unix file format using
>
> :e ftp://user@system//home/csm/csmdev/recpt_rpt.4gl
>
> When I :w the file and then read it back in :e!, the format has
> changed to DOS file format.
>
> What can I do to correct this problem?

A couple ideas occur to me:

1) you have some plugin that is changing the 'ff' setting. I'd check
what ":set ff?" to see what vim thinks the file should be written as.

2) you should be able to force writing as Unix format with ":w
++ff=unix

3) it's theoretically possible that FTP is transferring the file back
up in ASCII rather than BIN mode. I don't mess around much with
editing remote files, but if you write a copy of the file locally and
it's Unix format, but becomes DOS after transferring it, I remember
having FTP mung my newlines in the past.

-tim


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: