Friday, June 30, 2017

Re: Failing to do an install in $HOME from git

On Fr, 30 Jun 2017, Tim Chase wrote:

> I just pulled down a clone of the git repo, modified src/Makefile to
> point `prefix` at $HOME/local but when I go to build, it complains
> that it can't find auto/config.h but as far as I can tell, I'm doing
> everything according to the install-from-source instructions in
> usr_90:
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/vim/vim.git
> $ cd vim/src
> $ sed -i '/^#prefix/{s/^#//;s@$@/local@}' Makefile
> $ mkdir -p $HOME/local/
> $ make
> :
> :
> configure: creating auto/config.status
> config.status: creating auto/config.mk
> config.status: creating auto/config.h
> config.status: auto/config.h is unchanged
> make: *** No rule to make target 'auto/config.h', needed by
> 'objects/arabic.o'. Stop.

You need to run configure. I usually do something like this:
,----
| ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-luainterp
| --enable-python3interp --enable-pythoninterp
| --with-python3-config-dir=/usr/lib/python3.4/config-3.4m-x86_64-linux-gnu
| --enable-gui=no --prefix=/home/chrisbra/local
`----

I think one can also export those variables into the shell. (Look into
how the travis CI script builds Vim). But I usually don't bother,
because I let my shell give me the last configure call.

Best,
Christian
--
Es läßt den Bauern gar nicht ruh'n, wenn die Hähne morgens muh'n.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: