Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Re: How does vim choose a color that is not in the terminals color palette?

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:35:39 AM UTC+2, S. Jacobi wrote:
> I am using termite as my terminal emulator, which advertises 256 colors
> support via terminfo. I only defined 20 colors: fg, fg_bold, bg, cursor
> and the 16 colors in their normal and bright variants.
> I do not use a vim colorscheme, just the terminal colors. In some shell
> scripts I see colors that I have not defined and which are not affected
> if I change my color palette. So my question is: How are those colors
> determined and how can I change them?
>
> How to reproduce:
> 1) set t_Co=256 in vimrc (if it is set to 16 those "new" colors do not
> appear)
> 2) I set all 16 colors in my termite config file to #ff0000 (to
> oberserve the changes)
> 3) Minimal shell script:
> #/bin/bash
> $testvar=1
> cd dir
> ./command --help
> 4) $testvar is in cyan, --help is in some pinkish color
>
> I haven't tested setting all 256 colors in my config file to red, if
> this affects those two cases I found.
>
> Kind regards

First, check that Vim knows that yout terminal allows 256 colors:

:set t_Co?

The answer should be

t_Co=256

If it isn't, and you know that your current console _does_ support 256 colors, you can set it. Even in your vimrc if you know how to identify that terminal (as opposed to a dumb 16-color text console) at startup, e.g. from its 'term' value.

Then, if you don't want to bother to identify where (at which ordinal) in the terminal palette a certain pink or green or whichever color is found, I recommend to use gui-like settings in the cterm. There are two ways to do that:

a) (easiest)
if has('termguicolors')
set termguicolors
endif

b) to use guifg= guibg= in the cterm even with a gui-enabled Vim not compiled with +termguicolors, you could also take advantage of the CSApprox plugin, see
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_GUI_color_settings_in_a_terminal#Solution_2:_the_CSApprox_plugin


Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: