Monday, February 25, 2019

Re: possible RFE - open existing window w/file already being edited

On So, 24 Feb 2019, L A Walsh wrote:

> Very often I have many gvim windows open -- sometimes for unrelated
> projects because I hit a snag in 1 project that sends me off to another.
>
> Add that to breaks, and I forget which windows are minimized over in the
> the tray.
>
> Just like now, I wanted to open a file that has a list I wanted
> browse to find the right error code for a program I was working
> in. I tried to open errnos.shh but got the message it found a
> .swp file, I scan for the process info to see if it says it is
> still active. It is. So then 'abort' that and then go
> to taskbar and only see 1 icon for vim with 5 files hiding
> under it.
>
> I move my mouse over the taskbar icon and it displays the names
> each of them is editing, then I click on it to open and continue work.
>
> What would really speed up my work flow is if it would behave like
> some apps (like web browsers), where if I already have the file
> open in a gvim instance, if my 'invocation' of a new gvim on the
> same file could send the other one a command to restore itself to the
> desktop and pop-to-the top.
>
> Then I can just skip all the reading on the duplicate scanning for pid,
> scanning for 'still running', then going to find the current one.
>
> Is that possible or is it something that might be added?
>
> Currently running gvim via 'X' from a linux machine but
> displaying on a windows machine, but we're really talking about
> an 'X' window being bumped to the top, though the same situation
> could arise if I was using the Windows GUI version (just that most
> of my editing is of files on the linux machine).
>
> Might this be possible?

Have you tried the editexisting vim script, that comes distributed with
Vim and lives below /usr/share/vim/vim80/pack/dist/opt/editexisting/

Best,
Christian
--
Vati, was heißt "FORMATIERE LAUFWERK C:?"

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: