Friday, February 15, 2019

Vim external command output encoding

I am trying to get the output from Everything Search in Vim using Everything commandline (es.exe)

This works great in cmd shell but when I do the same in gvim I do not see any accents.

E.g.
:r !es *.doc
returns all doc files, but all accents (éèòì etc) are not shown.

No problem if I use this in cmd.exe:
es *.doc

These are my settings in gvim:
if has('multi_byte')
set encoding=utf-8
setglobal fenc=utf-8
set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,cp1252,latin1
endif

I tried to change the encoding of the "everything search" output in gvim:
:e ++enc=utf8
:set bomb
:e ++enc=latin1
:e ++enc=Windows-1252
:e ++enc=ISO-8859-1

No change. I don't see accents.

Current encoding:
:set encoding?
encoding=utf-8
:set termencoding?
termencoding=
:set shell?
shell=c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
:set shellcmdflag?
shellcmdflag=/c
:set shellpipe?
shellpipe=>%s 2>&1
:set shellredir?
shellredir=>%s 2>&1
:set shellxquote?
set shellxquote=(
:set shellquote?
set shellquote=

What's happening?

ps: it does work when I change shell to powershell but I don't want to use powershell because it messes up all my other external commands using cmd.exe.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: