Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Re: follow link on internet with vim

Mathieu Roux wrote on 07/09/2019 08:56 AM:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to follow a link with vim? for exemple, if my cursor is
> on https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim
> i want to use my browser to go to this website.
>
> By the same way, i can open a file with "gf" if my cursor is on the
> file's name. But i don't know how to follow a link.
>
> Best regards,
> Mathieu
>
In Linux, I use this - mapped to Alt-Z- I put it in one my my vim
startup files. This command sequence may not work if you try to do it
interactively (but you can play with it to find out what does work):

map ú mzlB"lyE:!o <16><12>l &<CR>;

Explained:

ú        is alt-z- Enter this using control-V, then Alt-Z if you use
same shortcut key as I do...(I avoid multi-key entry for stuff I use
most often)

mz           set mark 'z' for later return

l            move one char to right if possible
B            move cursor backward one big-word (to start of URL)

"lyE         capture big-word into register 'L'

:!xdg-open   go to Ex: command line, use xdg-open to process the
following arg(s)...

<16><12> In your chosen vimrc/other startup file, type control-V,
control-R

l & This inserts register L contents (which you will insert using
Control-R above)

The ampersand is important! In my linuxboxes (ubuntu, fedora, RHEL)
the command will not work without it. I do not know why.

Hope this helps.

--

Kind Regards,

Bill Hudacek
Master Certified IT Architect

All opinions are my own, of course.


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/cafaeb2c-d52f-7253-5367-524af66aae87%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: