Saturday, September 19, 2020

Re: Color scheme

On Sep 19, Bruce Korb wrote:

> Hi,
> I go to the trouble of wrapping my vim invocation inside
> of a function that adds "-i NONE" to the command line.

I assume you mean -u?

> I do this because somebody thinks it's really cool to
> have dark purple or blue letters on a black background.
> [...]

Vim thinks your terminal has colour capability, and is
guessing a light background.

It can't guess reliably, so to ensure it thinks you have
a dark background you can tell it with ":set background=dark".
You should see the legibility of the colours improve after
this.

> I'd go back to plain vi, but it is not supported anymore.

I mean, if you like bugs that will never be fixed ... :-)

> SO, how can I force vim to never, ever try to colorize my
> text ever again? Thank you.

To tell Vim that no colours are available:

set t_Co=0

You can add this to your command to invoke Vim:

vim -u NONE -c 'set t_Co=0'

--Antony

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20200920024026.GA821758%40naga.

No comments: