Friday, April 16, 2021

Re: Dump help pages

Thank you very much, I'll use that.
                                                                                  I'm currently reading the Vim docs by editing them inside Vim, it's a good way for me to process them better.
                                                                                  However, to speed things up, I was wondering if anyone could tip me off about a few functionalities. 

At the beginning of a paragraph which has been separated mid-sentence onto separate lines, how might I automate the process of calling CTRL-J until all the separated lines in the paragraph have been combined into one line? Will Vim be able to call CTRL-J until a condition is met, for example, that the single line being built ends in a sentence (a period), or until the next line is a blank newline?

Then, how might I automate the process of entering N newlines between every sentence? I.e., automating pressing ), i, enter a few times, then escape, for multiple sentences? I could create a shortcut to execute these commands and call it myself, or it could also repeat until the conditions above. How would I do either?

Also, how do I go back to where the cursor previously was, in case I accidentally move it?

 Thanks very much,
 Julius


On Wed, Apr 14, 2021, 19:21 Charles Campbell <campbell@drchip.org> wrote:
Julius Hamilton wrote:
> Thanks very much. Yes, that'll do the trick. Not all pages, but just
> any individual one I happen to be reading, so I can edit and take
> notes on it.
>
> Thanks very much, really appreciate it.
>
> Julius
>
I was surprised no one mentioned what seemed to me to be the most
obvious -- just

     :w filename

Chip Campbell

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAGrXgp3sCOfAZEQHcJYYyAEs_TSoNPTi%3DH1B9hLpuaN9Y0yRKw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: