Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Re: Enabling/Disabling Vim features during compilation

On 2021-08-30 23:11, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by that. Many features (but not all) can be
> enabled passing appropriate flags to the configure script. Check the
> help from ./configure --help for the different flags.

https://vimhelp.org/various.txt.html#%2Bfeature-list is the list of
features that can be enable during compilation. Those features that have
'-' before them are features that are no longer available. I am asking
if any of those features in the feature list can be enabled or disabled
on its own during compilation.

> Yes. You may edit the header file feature.h. Note, if you just start
> enabling features blindly, compilation may fail (because of ifdefs), so
> be careful.

I know there are some features that can't be enabled by editing
feature.h as the comments around them in feature.h explicitly tell you
to enable/disable them using ./configure

I am basically looking to compile Vim myself, enabling all the features
I want and disabling the ones I don't, explicitly, one by one, not
having to rely on the 'big/small' etc feature set options and I was
hoping to do it by editing the PKGBUILD in AUR for vim-git hence wanting
to enable/disable all features using ./configure.

Also, ./configure has the option --enable-FEATURE and --disable-FEATURE
where FEATURE is to be replaced by the feature's name, so I am guessing
in theory it is possible to enable or disable each of the features in
https://vimhelp.org/various.txt.html#%2Bfeature-list using ./configure
options

> I believe this is a feature, that is enabled using feature.h depending
> on the feature set (huge, normal, small). What are you trying to do
> here? Is there a particular interest in the builtinterms feature?

I want to compile Vim myself, enabling the features I want and
+builtinterms is one of them, but like I've mentioned above, I don't
want to have to rely on the 'huge/normal/small' feature set. I want to
specify each feature myself.

> chrisbra@debian ~/code/vim-src/src% ./configure --help |grep -i perl
> --enable-perlinterp=OPTS Include Perl interpreter. default=no
> OPTS=no/yes/dynamic
> #v-
>
> Does that help?

That helps a lot. Thank you!
Not sure how I missed it when looking at ./configure --help

> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Jemand, der immer lustig ist, ist was Unerträgliches.
> -- Loriot (eigentlich Vicco von Bülow)
>
> --

Best Regards,
IFo Hancroft

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/c8273dbb604335995c84b931bd5cc347%40ifohancroft.com.

No comments: