Saturday, August 14, 2021

Re: RedHat Athena: GUI vim is extremely slow using terminal

On 2021/05/07 11:56, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Aleksandr Jakušev wrote:
>
>
>> Which makes me thing that the problem is GUI/X server related. And true,
>> this does not happen in the console verion of vim. FYI, My X server is one
>> of the latest versions of vcxsrv running on Win 10.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>
> You are using an X server running on MS-Windows? I have had nothing but
> problems with that. I haven't tried for years though. Can you run with
> a native X server?
>
Finally got to trying an 8.x running on my Linux (SuSE) w/display
on Windows 7SP1 (64bit) using Cygwin's Xserver.

I guess vim isn't using the win10-only terminal functions since it is
working on Win7

For speed testing, I did a full ls listing of /usr/lib64 w/6917 entries and
used 'dd' to sync. In bash, I used it's time function (and format:
TIMEFORMAT="%2Rsec %2Uusr %2Ssys (%P%% cpu)" ).
ran the whole thing under " bash -c 'cmd'":

time bash -c 'ls --quoting-style=literal --show-control-chars
--color=always -lgG /usr/lib64|dd oflag=dsync'

So besides the color output in the terminal window (TERM=xterm-256color),
I got 2 timings:
1164+1 records in
1164+1 records out
596002 bytes (596 kB, 582 KiB) copied, 3.49621 s, 170 kB/s
3.51sec 0.04usr 0.05sys (2.60% cpu)

So about a 17 million baud equivalent (this is over my 8Gb ethernet link).



I'd try a different X-server and I assume you have a 1Gb wired connection?

Best of luck!

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/6118548F.1060702%40tlinx.org.

No comments: