Monday, August 16, 2021

VIM session files treated as 'file list database'?

Trying to use sessions as 'database' using gvim. I hope this makes sense.

E.g., I'm reviewing 25 text notes/files - most are discarded, but some
are 'hits'. These files, I leave open (control-w to split window,
switch to the lower 'window' on the same file, and go to the next file
in the filelist).

At the end of the buffer list, I have 7 open buffers/'windows' out of
the original 25 files.

I run 'mksession a.vim', and in that file, I see these kinds of entries:

$argadd (25 times)
edit (1 time - current being edited)
balt (7 times)

Now, a simple linux pipe on the cmd-line prints the file names from
the 'balt' specifications/lines in the VIM session file.

BUT - I then realized that those files are NOT the files that open if
I use 'vim -S a.vim'. I can't figure it out. Is this documented other
than in the source code?

FYI, my .vimrc has:
set sessionoptions=buffers,help,resize,winpos,winsize,

(Hope it's obvious once I find the files in vim, I want to copy them
to another subtree so I can annotate, etc. I don't want to write them
one-at-a-time in VIM, even using a macro, as I'm really talking about
more than 600 files, not the measly 25 I use here in my example.)

I can't share the session file, because of the file names included
(legal reasons). BUT if no one knows what to do, I can dummy up
something with a few dozen fake file names to create a kind of example
showing this behavior; it'll just take a bit of time).

Thanks for any help -


--
/Bill

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/7284a702-2391-665e-2faa-ad4e3ac5d433%40gmail.com.

No comments: