Thursday, January 20, 2022

Re: Disable Help

Gary,

I moved .vimrc out of the way.
Executed "\vim"   to negate my bash alias which does:  "alias vim='/usr/bin/vim -u ~/.vimrc'"

I first did '<F1>' and got the help, and quit out of it ":q"
I next did 'a' and then did '<F1>' and got the help, and quit out of it ":q"

The results from ":verbose map! <F1>" was "No mapping found"---------same for ":verbose map <F1>.

Thank you... I appreciate the help.
I've spent a couple hours this evening browsing through the VIM ":help".... to see what more I could learn.


R,
-Joe Wulf;  RHCSA(RHEL7), FITSP-D, CISSP, VCP3, CPO(USN/RET)
Tony Robbins:  "Management is focusing on getting someone to get a result. Leadership is producing a standard in someone that when you're gone, they will live by to produce higher level results consistently".




On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 2:00 AM Gary Johnson <garyjohn@spocom.com> wrote:
On 2022-01-20, Joseph Wulf wrote:

Joe,

> "map <F1> <Nop>" is all that works for me, so far, during Normal/Command mode
> to prevent bringing up VIM HELP.
> This is placed at the bottom of my .vimrc.
>
> Attempting, "map! <F1> <Nop>"  is accepted, but does not prevent the <F1>,
> while in INSERT mode, from bringing up VIM HELP .
> No form I tried of 'tmap' would be accepted by vim.
>
> For what it is worth, I'm using CentOS 7.9, with KDE desktop, Konsole terminal
> windows, patched via the latest yum update.
> VIM is version 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Dec 15 2020 16:44:08);  Included
> patches: 1-207, 209-629
> Konsole terminals are standardized black background, zero transparency and
> green text.
>
> I've included my entire .vimrc (current state) below my signature (and
> in-between the lines of dashes), for critique/reference/review.
> I'm really proud of my status line, too.

I didn't see anything there that should cause this.

I know we've been through this before in bits and pieces, but I'd
like to be sure that we're all on the same page.

Please try the following.

1.  Start vim without any arguments:

        vim

2.  Enter insert mode by typing

        a

3.  Type the F1 key.  This will presumably bring up Vim's help.

4.  Exit the help window by executing

        :q

5.  Execute this:

        :verbose map! <f1>

6.  Let us know the results of that last command.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20220121070049.GB14109%40phoenix.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAJ8cad-6K%2BXX9yGEWqhjbHMmjGsXt-fLtGFAGrnXQ1Ha1LyZ3Q%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: