Sunday, January 15, 2023

Re: Searching across a range of lines



On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 1:55 PM Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>     While possibly not quite what you're looking for, if I want such, I use
> ...>       :50,100g/cat/#
>
> Tim, this doesn't do what I'm trying to do, but the bigger problem is
> that :g absolutely moves the cursor, putting it on the last found match.

I use :g as Tim does. I don't particularly want the cursor moved, but
after looking at the results I simply type `` and the cursor is back
where it was.

I'm not questioning the utility of this at all; I use various versions of this myself. However, I was trying to build something that could be used in a script, not something I'm using to examine the results from the command-line.

Since you and Tim took time out to respond, here's a version I use for the word under the cursor, in case you find a use for it. It prints all lines that have the word under the cursor with a number before them and then prompts you for the number, jumping to the specified result:

nmap <F4> [I:let nr = input("Which one?  ")<Bar>if nr > 0<bar>execute "normal " . nr ."[\t"<bar>endif<CR>

If you prefix the last [ with a \<c-w> (inside the quotes), it'll jump to that line in a new split, instead, retaining your current cursor location.

All the best,

Salman

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CANuxnEery5bbsQhRHGePgt7%2Ba5Yt%2BK%2ByMT4zU9f0bgyu2K%2BYAw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: