Thursday, January 12, 2023

Re: Yanking doesn't yank

'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use said on Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:57:13 +0000

>[Originally sent through Gmane.io; apologies for possible duplicates]
>
>
>I've been using Vim for almost 4 years now and I haven't got it right
>yet.
>
>I have a block of text (say, 10 lines) that I want to copy from
>somewhere to somewhere else.
>
>I put the cursor on the first line, press capital v (shift + v); this
>will highlight the line; then press down arrow until I have selected
>the whole block. So far so good.
>
>Then I press 'y'. If then I move the cursor down, it will still
>continue to highlight the following text, which is not what I want.

I can't reproduce your symptom with my gvim version 9.0.948. My
highlighting vanishes when I press the y key. Just for fun, try using
the j key instead of the arrow key and see if the problem persists. The
j key means move down one line, and works with highlighting. The j key
is also faster for a touch typist than hunting and pecking the down
arrow. I'll say more later in this email.

>
>As a workaround, after selecting text, I press 'd', then 'p' to but it
>back where it was and then move down and press 'p' again.

I frequently do something like this when trying to yank the end of the
line. I press D and then p, and now I have the line ending in my
buffer.

>
>I wonder why it will keep on selecting text after pressing 'y'.

I don't know. Why don't you move your .vim/vimrc somewhere else and see
if it changes your symptom. If it does, you can work on your .vimrc
until you find the offending line. If the symptom is unchanged, you've
ruled out .vimrc. Also, as an additional data point, my .vimrc is in
my user directory (/home/slitt), not in /home/slitt/.vim . So be sure
to check your home directory for a .vimrc, because I have a feeling
you're approaching the wrong .vimrc.

>
>I'm missing something obvious here.
>
>My .vimrc.
>
>$ cat .vim/vimrc
>source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim
>
>"set shellcmdflag=-ic
>set dir=~/.vim/tmp
>set expandtab
>set autoindent
>set mouse=r
>
>digraph bl 8226 " Insert Bullet with <CTRL>+k bl
>
>
>iabbrev cwd <C-R>=strftime("%a %d/%m %H:%M")
>iabbrev mydate <C-R>=strftime("%a %d/%m/%Y")
>iabbrev mydate2 <C-R>=strftime("%Y%m%d")
>
>map <f5> :1m$<cr>
>
>
>--
>Ottavio Caruso
>
>A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>A: Top-posting.
>Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>
>--
>--
>You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
>Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
>For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
>---
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>Groups "vim_use" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>receiving emails from it, send an email to
>vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the
>web visit
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAEJNuHy8zJ8-kUiaYXKwW5%3D1Q06hzeor4Gu299VS-WW1nP26eQ%40mail.gmail.com.


SteveT

Steve Litt
Autumn 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/thrive.htm

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20230112175409.7bd30a9c%40mydesk.domain.cxm.

No comments: