Tuesday, March 14, 2023

How do I replicate vim settings across two machines?

Hi,

I have two laptops.

LAP-EXT is a laptop that I use when out and about and is connected to
the Internet via mobile 4G.

I frequently edit a file called mlog.txt

$ vim ~/docs/mlog

At home I have another laptop (LAP-HOME), with no access to the
Internet, on which I mount $HOME on LAP1 over sshfs:


$ sshfs LAP-HOME: ~/external

Both machines run latest Debian stable.

So I can access mlog.txt as:

$ vim ~/external/docs/mlog


However if I do that, I get different behaviours, for example the cursor
mark is in different places, so I don't know where I left the text on
the other machine.

The only workaround at the moment is to ssh to LAP-EXT and run vim from
there.

How can I tell vim on LAP-HOME to use exactly the same settings as vim
on LAP-EXT including leaving the cursor at the same position?



--
Ottavio Caruso

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/3578ec15-99a6-9fcc-1745-c79b93201585%40yahoo.com.

No comments: