Friday, March 3, 2023

Re: Can I copy/yank into and out of vim?

On 2023-03-04 03:48, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> The reason for this dfference in behaviour is that xterm doesn't use
> the X11 clipboard (register + in Vim) but only the X11 selection
> (register * in Vim). In almost every other GUI, including gvim, you
> can use Edit→Cut, Edit→Copy and Edit→Paste to pass text from one
> program to another via the clipboard, but in xterm you need to have
> some text selected (and, in Vim, written to "*) then the middle mouse
> button pastes into xterm; conversely, IIUC anything selected in xterm
> will appear in Vim's * register and can be pasted with "*p or with
> <MiddleMouse>.

Thank you, Tony. I don't know how many times I've read a similar
explanation over the almost 30 years I've been using Unix-like OS, but
for sure I don't have enough fingers to count them. Still, the only
thing I can understand is that there are different "clipboards" and that
Shift+Insert works sometimes but not always. Usually by trying several
times I end up getting "pasted" what I expect, and at times I need to
reach for a mouse (I hace mice unless they have fur and teeth) middle
button which also works some times. LOL

I don't seem to find an explanation of the different between what you
describe as "in xterm you need to have some text selected" and whatever
the alternative (not having some text selected?) might be. :-)

Cheers,
Ángel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/b1507507b5c19164108209ca794908ad%40ugr.es.

No comments: