Friday, March 31, 2023

Re: What's the point of the "-i" switch? was : How do I replicate vim settings across two machines?

I have nothing to add, but I like Christian's signature with varying quotes.  I might search how to do that too :-)  Catherine Deneuve was all class.

On Saturday, 1 April 2023 at 00:40:51 UTC+10 Christian Brabandt wrote:

On Fr, 31 Mär 2023, 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use wrote:

> Follow up to this thread, see bottom post. I have been messing about with
> vim and I have used this command from my local machine:
>
> $ vim ~/external/docs/mlog -i ~/external/.viminfo
>
> From the manual:
>
> -i {viminfo}
> Specifies the filename to use when reading or writing the
> viminfo file, instead of the default "~/.viminfo". This
> can also be used to skip the use of the .viminfo file, by
> giving the name "NONE".
>
>
> But when I use this syntax, the cursor mark is still not at the same place
> where I left when I used vim directly on the remote machine.

I suppose because the filename is still stored twice within the viminfo
file with two different paths? Open your viminfo file (please make a
backup of it before messing with it) and search for the filename, for
which this issue occurs. You most likely find it there twice and you
need to make sure to have it there only once (with whatever path you
want to access the file).

> So, my question is, what is the practical point of this switch?

It uses a different viminfo file than the default one. By itself it
won't help, because you still have the problem, that you are editing the
same file under two different paths, so it looks like 2 different files
for Vim.

Best,
Christian
--
Die Religion hat viel Schlechtes und nur wenig Gutes hervorgebracht.
-- Claude Adrien Helvétius

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/d9863b0c-8ebe-47a9-b3e4-11f5ead7c98en%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: