Thursday, July 20, 2023

Re: E474 invalid argument with Unicode MATH BOLD characters. help please

It turns out I was *completely* wrong in my assumption about the cause of this error. Sorry.
(Probably better error messages could be helpful here, like: stating *which* argument is invalid, *why* it is invalid, and *what* would be valid.)
It is not the Unicode at all, I am very happy to say.

However, for some reason there are some abbreviation "names" that seem to be invalid. ".al" is one. ".wh" seems to be another. I find it impossible to see a pattern, I can appreviate to two or three characters, even four. It seems abbreviations starting with "." or "," can only be two characters total, except I can do this
:iab ... ellipse
and it works fine.
So what can and can *not* be used for naming abbreviations, when, and *why not*?

The problem also occurs with vim --clean.

I am using Vim 8.2 on Devuan (that's what is in Devuan's repos.)
torsdag den 20. juli 2023 kl. 08.44.07 UTC+2 skrev Christian Brabandt:

On Mi, 19 Jul 2023, Lasse Hillerøe Petersen wrote:

> I am trying to add am iabbrev ".h" for 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨.
> I type
> :iabbrev .h 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨
> (Yes, I have a Linux xkb layout so I can type this.)
> I get E474 Invalid argument.
> Other Unicode characters, like æøå or ¬ also don't seem to work.
>
> I have tried setting encoding to utf-8
> :set enc=utf-8
> :set tenc=utf-8
>
> Searching for the error code came up with nothing useful. Where can I find
> doc on what is actually *valid* arguments?

Hm, that should work and certainly does here. Does it work when you use
vim --clean?

What is your vim version please?


Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
Anna Kasse

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/0d41fec5-2a03-4d22-adb1-3c07f690a101n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: