Saturday, August 5, 2023

Re: Where is Bram?

Christian,


On 2023-08-06 02:11, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Am 2023-08-05 16:30, schrieb Yegappan Lakshmanan:
>> On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 5:53 AM Maxim Kim <habamax@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/g/vim_announce/c/tWahca9zkt4
>>>
>>
>> I am truly saddened and shocked to hear this news.
>>
>> I have been following him for more than 25 years and have interacted
>> with him for more than 22 years. He has been an inspiration to me and
>> many others. He has really changed the world for the better. He has
>> single handedly improved the productivity of countless developers and
>> companies around the world. He dedicated his entire life to work on
>> Vim. His vision and ability to design some of the most complex
>> features
>> (such as the vim9script compiler, spell check, syntax highlighting,
>> channels, tab pages, virtual text, and many others) have always amazed
>> me.
>>
>> We will all miss him deeply. Rest In Peace, Bram, and thank you for
>> everything.
>
>
> As all of you, so was I deeply shocked when I heard the news. Bram was
> a great leader
> to the Vim community and I really enjoyed working with him over the
> past years, since I became
> involved with the development of Vim almost 20 years ago.


Yes, so shocking - I have been using Vim for so long - I guess, after a
while, you assume the author will be there forever . . very sad for his
family and friends . .


> Bram was of great inspiration in creating a great community, helping
> people with his charity and
> he was a great mentor. And now he left too soon. We lost a great
> leader and I regret never having
> met him in person...


Yes, it would be nice to hear more about him - I was always impressed by
his charity stuff . .


> However to all of the community: I will continue and I hope all of the
> other contributors will
> also keep up the good work. I do have access to the Vim homepage and
> the Vim organization (not sure
> if all the rights, but I am sure we will work on the details in the
> near future.


I do so hope the great work can continue . .


> Once I return from vacation, I'll go through the PRs and review them
> (and also commit the missing
> patch to github). I'll welcome anybody to contribute to make Vim
> better.
>
> I still don't know all the internals of the various areas (vim9,
> virtual text, syntax highlighting to name
> a few) and I don't know how much time I can dedicate, but I hope
> together we will be able to continue
> successfully.


I hope there are no showstoppers . .

Thanks Bram and people,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/dfd475bac374ce247b2dbd176fbb5eb6%40pricom.com.au.

No comments: