Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Re: MS-Windows users of the gVim Read only shorcut?

I use it sometimes. It's handy when I have too many buffers open in
one instance of Gvim, and I just want to drag in some files that may
already be open, and I don't want to see a pop-up about swp files. And
I use it for opening e-books that I don't intend to edit. Actually,
I'd like it better if it had :set nomodifiable by default also. I hope
you keep it, but it's easy enough to make ones own shortcuts, I
suppose, so it doesn't matter. Or maybe it does -- it's easy for users
to delete the extra shortcuts, but they might not think to even try
opening vim in Read Only mode, without the example. I've never seen
any point to the "Easy" shortcut. Pretending that vim isn't modal
doesn't make it easier, it makes it redundant, imo. Surely there are
better notepad replacements, if one doesn't want to work modally. (I
think metapad is the best simple notepad replacement).


Ben Fritz wrote:
>
>I see no reason to have a
dedicated shortcut, unless it is in the "send to" menu.

Thanks for reminding me; I ought to put it in that menu. It's strange,
I'm just noticing that I have only two items in the main right click
context menu for vim (Edit with Vim and Edit with Existing Vim) --
Edit with RO Vim would be handy there.

-B

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: