Wednesday, July 11, 2012

vim: session of "sessions"

sorry if the subject of the email is confusing in the 1st glance...

//history:
* too many buffers/files in a vim window? => session+tab
so I use vim session + tab when working with many files.

:mksession s1
:source s1

typically I create a session for a batch of files that shares some
commonalities (technically I don't have to , I know that..):

belonging to a same project,
under same dir,
or some commonly used files,
etc.

* too many files in a session? => use multiple vim instance
when I work with 2 or more sessions, I simply create 2 vim instance,
each holding one session.

* too many terminals? => GNU screen
so I use GNU screen to handle multiple terminals, from inside each I can
start a new vim instance, holding a session.
I understand I can C-Z bg fg to switch between diff vim instance inside
one terminal, but GNU screen perfectly fulfill my desire here...

//what's my current issue then:
now, it looks I easily run into a situation when I have 9+ screen
sessions (or windows in GNU screen term) in a GNU screen instance, but
still need some new ones.

* switching beyond 9 windows is painful in screen, if you ever use it.
* I can create 2nd/more gnu screen, but then I have to switch between
them, then select windows, to reach my destination vim session. sometime
it's also not quick enough.
* I can use a tab-based terminal, within each tab I start a screen
instance, so now the muliplex hierarchy becomes:
(N x ) gnome-terminal -> N x gnome-terminal tab ->
N x gnu screen -> N x screen windows -> 1 vim session -> N x files

both of these 2 is not good solution for me.

//my thought and need help on:
how do I aggregate all vim sessions in one vim instance, but still
conveniently switch between them? any plugins(project plugin?) doing that?

thanks

regards
ping

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: