Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Re: use of vim signs

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:48:05AM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:31:20 AM UTC-5, toothpik wrote:
> >
> > ok, looking at the code it's a simple change in two places in screen.c
> > (lines 2339 and 3509) to get the current line number back to zero when
> > in relativity mode

> Maybe, but this was specifically added as a feature so I doubt it will get
> reverted.

> I certainly prefer the line number instead of zero.

> > my personal opinion would be to have the default for rnu0 to be on, but
> > we should vote on that, with Bram as the decider since most people won't
> > care or vote

> In the vim_dev thread Christian mentioned (
> https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/194c62c57ddf9ee9 ) Bram
> already said explicitly that he didn't want another option for this.

well that's a show-stopper for me -- I was trying to share the "best"
solution with the community

going forward, I will keep my screen.c with my own mods for my taste,
along with my changes to feature.h -- the extent of my gift to the
community will have to be those line numbers in screen.c -- if you
feel as I do, go there and whack or comment those 5 lines (followed by
a commit, a merge to the previous head, and another commit)

> > (when I first expressed enthusiasm for relative numbers they showed the
> > zero, not some misaligned line number that's repeated in the ruler -- it
> > looks suspiciously like something that was snuck in my someone just
> > showing off (looky what I can do!))

> It wasn't. It was a "the zero is useless; let's display some useful
> information there instead" argument with lots of discussion.

I must have been asleep or distracted -- my bad -- to me the zero is
simply what belongs there

> Not everybody shows the line number in their status line or ruler, or
> shows either of those things at all, and they may want to be able to see a
> line number still. Or in my case, I may have so many open windows that the
> line number in the status line is much harder to pick out than if I just
> scan over to the left on my current line. Or maybe the statusline setting
> is such that line numbers get truncated on narrow windows. Additionally,
> when Vim doesn't have input focus (for referring to line numbers in an
> email or something), you can't even ":set number" easily to see line
> numbers in your window. My solution to this is a FocusLost autocmd but
> that pre-dated the line number at the cursor line in relativenumber mode.
> Perhaps I would have just used that (and mentally added or subtracted the
> line number) were it available before I made my FocusGained/FocusLost
> autocmds.

> There are plenty of use cases where an absolute line number in the
> relative column is very useful, and currently the only complaint is "it
> makes my number column a few characters wider and I don't like that".

I guess my 'redundant and distracting and mis-aligned' is chopped
liver

> How about a different solution? We could modify the behavior of that
> absolute number, to make it so that one absolute numbered line isn't
> allowed to expand the line number column. If it won't fit, show zero or
> truncate it with < like in the statusline or something. If a user wants to
> show it anyway they can increase their 'numberwidth' option.

my problem isn't with the width, and I think the code is complicated
enough -- if we're going to show the number, I think we should show
all of it

> I was going to see what happens to the normal line number column when the
> limit of width 10 is reached, but Vim has been chugging away for almost an
> hour trying to load a 3GB file (I let a cmd.exe "for" loop run for a while
> to create a huge file with nothing but DOS-style line endings); even with
> no plugins, eventignore set to "all", undolevels set to -1, and using the
> :view command to avoid a swap file. So I think I'll give up on waiting for
> that.

and I also will give up on my misguided attempt to modify vim for
everybody -- I will simply modify it for me

I apologize for the noise

--
_|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
|_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<
|

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: