Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Re: Why use relative line numbers?

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:46:30 PM UTC-5, MarcWeber wrote:
> ben, tim,
>
>
>
> Can you give this a try again:
>
> http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/tips/goto-line-by-last-digits.html
>
>
>
> would using normal line numbers be fine this way if it was possible to
>
> pass 05?
>
>
>
> eg d3\G works now.
>
>
>
> not having relative line numbers is less confusing, because the numbers
>
> on the left don't change.
>
>
>
> If this would work nicely, would there be a reason to keep relative line
>
> numbers ?
>

As I mentioned before, J and _ and some other commands are much more useful to me with relative line numbers. And I like using them with dd, cc, yy, etc. these days, although I could change that to instead use the absolute numbers if I wanted.

In the beginning, relative line numbers also frequently took up less space than the absolute line numbers. That's no longer the case (as noted by much recent discussion).

I like the idea of your plugin and if relative line numbers were not around I'd probably use it. But as it stands now I don't mind sticking with relative numbering.

The other situation I use relative numbers a lot is when I'm recording macros to do a lot of stuff in a small range of lines. :set rnu can make it easier to get this right on the first try faster.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: