Sunday, September 29, 2013

Re: Multilingual spell check error in vim

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 09:22:06PM +0200, John Niendorf wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I started trying to learn vim again and have made it further than I
>did before, but....
>
>I need spell checking in both Swedish and English.
>
>Following instructions I found at
>http://ubuntu-se.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=32844 I downloaded
>the Swedish language files:
>
>sv.latin1.spl
>sv.latin1.sug
>sv.utf-8.spl
>sv.utf-8.sug
>
>I'm not sure if I need the latin or just utf so I grabbed both
>from:ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/
>
>The instructions I found say:
>
>"By default, Vim only installs spell files for the English language.
>To install spell files for your preferred language, download the *.spl
>and optionally, the *.sug files for your language and character
>encoding from ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/ and save them
>to /usr/share/vim/vim72/spell/.
>
>To use these spell files, some configuration in /etc/vimrc is needed, e.g.:
>
>set spelllang=en,ru
>set spell"
>(The example on the website uses English and Russian, obviously.)
>I copied the language files I downloaded to
>/usr/share/vim/vim73/spell/
>
>I now have both English and Swedish spell checking in vim, which is
>cool, but I have a couple of questions.
>
>When I type :set spelllang=sv,en I get an error that says
>Error detected while processing /home/john/.vim/spell/sv.utf-8.spl:
>E763: Word characters differ between spell files
>
>If I ignore this error and go about my text processing business,
>everything seems to work fine. Vim catches and suggests words for
>misspellings in both languages.
>
>Does anyone know how I can get rid of this error? It is a bit annoying.

I should have looked harder before emailing the list.
The solution was simple. I replaced the English files with files
downloaded from vim.org. The error is gone.

--
John

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: